Decipher Advanced Training Series
Welcome to the Decipher Advanced Training Series.
The training content below is designed to give new Decipher programmers self-paced training materials to learn the ins and outs of scripting surveys in the XML Editor. A basic understanding of the Decipher platform and the market research industry is necessary for fully understanding the content provided in this course. If you have not yet completed the Decipher Essentials Training Series, it is recommended that you do so before starting this series.
Some programming experience is also necessary, as the Decipher Advanced Training Series teaches users how to implement features and processes in a Decipher survey using multiple programming languages. The material is covered briskly, so be sure to make use of the reference materials and exercises linked throughout the series, and don’t be afraid to replay a video or two.
Click on the tiles below to get started:
Exercise: Program a Full Survey
Please attempt to program the questionnaire provided below from start to finish. The purpose of this section is for you to attempt to program a survey on your own and compare your results to the solution materials. A general guideline for programming any survey can also be found below.
To check your answers using the Solution Materials, download and extract the files using the link above. Once extracted, upload the
quota.xls file to a new project as a System Root File. Then upload the
survey.xml file to the same project, also as a System Root File.
General guide for survey programming:
- Review the Questionnaire Thoroughly
- Take notes & get clarification if necessary
- Program the Survey
- Program basic / standard survey questions (staging)
- Program basic conditions / options
- Program placeholders for complex pieces/road blocks (use
- Add sample sources if provided
- Lightly review the survey (visualizing your survey and fixing easy errors)
- Program complex pieces / random pickers (test as you add)
- Add quotas (test as you add)
- Finish up any remaining items
- Testing the survey
- Manual testing (use the questionnaire as a checklist)
- Simulated testing
- Final checks with the programmer checklist
- Provide links and notes to the client / project manager