Respondent Validation is integrated third-party digital fingerprinting technology within Kinesis Survey. With the rise of online research, the need to identify suspicious respondent behaviors (duplications, speed-through completions, unauthorized access locations, etc.) has become crucial to data credibility.
Usage of these tools is optional. Both products are applicable for web respondents only (mobile respondent authentication is not supported).
- TrueSample™ is a paid user subscription service that identifies suspicious respondents in real-time with digital fingerprinting techniques. It ensures that respondents are: real (using third-party databases to identify fakes); unique (removes duplicates and overlaps); and engaged (removes speedsters and straight-liners).
2: Enabling Respondent Validation
To enable, select Survey Properties and click the "External services" tab. The option for TrueSample will be available on this page.
TrueSample™ is a paid user subscription service that identifies suspicious respondents in real-time through digital fingerprinting, as well as other validation techniques. It ensures that respondents are: real (using third-party databases to identify fakes); unique (removes duplicates and overlaps); and engaged (removes speedsters and straight-liners).
TrueSample™ integration allows the use of TrueSample™ Survey Validation which helps in ensure data quality by verifying that each survey respondent is:
- Real - Respondent must be who and where they say they are.
- Unique - Respondent can never be allowed to enter a survey twice.
- Engaged - Participants Must provide honest, thoughtful responses.
3.1: How It Works
TrueSample™ Validation enables researchers to identify and eliminate fake, duplicate and unengaged respondents when they take a survey. The respondent is first redirected to TrueSample's Respondent Data Collection service. This service will collect all data required to validate that the respondent is real (only available if Show name/address form is "yes") and unique. Based on the name and address a respondent provides TrueSample™ uses a third-party data provider to validate that the respondent's information represents a "real" person. Once a respondent is validated as "real", the respondent will always be recognized as "real". TrueSample™ identifies any non Unique or "duplicate" respondents using two methods. If the Info preference is set to "yes" it first identifies any repeat name and address pairs within the survey as duplicates. Next it uses Digital Fingerprinting technology to examine the respondent's machine configuration to ensure that the same computer is not used to take the same survey more than once. During the course of the survey, the respondents engagement is calculated by how fast survey pages are answered and how matrix table answers are provided. This helps eliminate respondents who are speeding or straight-lining through the survey.
- TrueSample™ Account ID
- Unique TrueSample™ account ID. For more information on acquiring a TrueSample™ account, contact email@example.com.
- TrueSample™ Passcode
- Passcode associated with Truesample™ account ID. If you have forgot your passcode, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your company, division and account ID in the email.
- Supplier ID
- This allows you to associate respondents to a particular supplier/panel. If no supplier ID is set "unknown" will be shown in TrueSample™ reports. Supplier ID may also be specified by including supplier-id=[SUPPLIERID] in the respondent survey link. Where [SUPPLIERID] is the supplier ID from TrueSample™
- Client ID
- Unique ID for the researcher provided by TrueSample. If no client ID is set "unknown" will be shown in TrueSample™ reports.
- Show Name/Address Form
- Whether or not the name and address collection form should be display to respondents when starting a survey. NOTE: if this is set to "no" all respondents will be considered "rea" and there for real validation is disabled.
- Validation Options
- Determines which validations (real, unique, engaged) to perform for each respondent.
4: Respondent Validation Reporting
Advanced reporting should be done through TrueSample™ reporting tools. However the respondent status codes returned are exportable from Drill Down in Kinesis Survey. These can be enabled within the Drill Down configuration similar to other system fields.