Survey Tester is a random data generation (RDG) tool used to test data. The Survey Tester quickly generates numerous sessions that can then be accessed with Kinesis reporting tools to verify that data is correctly collected and conditional or branched datapoints have been skipped. Survey Tester can also be used to confirm quota filters and terminations are working as they should.
We recommend using Survey Tester in addition to manual testing, as it does not track browser-level formatting or script alerts within your survey.
1: General Options
The Survey Tester is very simple to set up and only a few basic options need to be set before running. All basic quota terminations will be avoided if possible. To navigate through advanced quota filter conditions you will need to use Response Paths.
- # of times to take the survey per respondent
- Sets how many times each respondent will take the survey. (Max of 10)
- Number of concurrent respondents
- Sets the amount of respondents to take the survey. (Max of 10)
- Probability of clicking the back button
- Specifies the percentage of times the back button will be used per session.
- Tester mode
- Quick Fill
- Generates the test sessions as quickly as possible
- Waits a few seconds before answering each question, resulting in a more believable total survey time. Uses predefined times based on question type and length and cannot be adjusted.
2: Using Response Paths
Response Paths allow you to create multiple sets of predefined paths for the survey tester to follow determined by Response Controls.
Response Controls give you the option to specify what choice or answer you want the Survey Tester to use for a specific question. Response controls can not be applied to hidden Computationals, Date or Slider questions. By specifying what answers you want the survey tester to record for certain questions, you can avoid termination by advanced quota filters that involve multiple answer choices (for checkboxes) or multiple questions.
2.1: Manage Response Paths
Manage Response Paths lets you add or delete paths and determine whether or not a path is active. If more than one path is active they will randomly be used when running the Survey Tester.
2.2: Add Response Control
Add Response Control lets you define which answer options to consider for the Response Path and Question selected from the pulldowns above. There are several modes that allow you to define answers:
2.3: Guided Random Response
Select all the options that the survey tester is allowed to use in its responses then click save. The survey tester will pick randomly from the selected choices. For checkbox and ranking the survey tester will pick random number of options for each answer.
2.4: Build Response List
Select the options you would like to have in this response set, then click add. Repeat this operation for as many answer sets you would like to have. This option is available for radio, pulldown, checkbox and ranking question types.
2.5: Paste Fixed Answer List
- Simply type in a response set, then hit enter or return to type in another response set. You may also paste response set(s). A reponse set may be left blank to have the survey tester fill nothing in on that response, but make sure the question is not required. Be sure to enter your responses in the proper format for the question type.
- For radios use format:
- For checkbox use format:
- For dual sliders use format:
- For card sort use format:
category (choice,choice); category (choice);
EXAMPLE: we want to select choices 2 and 3 for category 1 and choices 1 and 4 for category 3
1 (2,3); 3 (1,4);
- For radios use format:
2.6: Number Value Range
If you selected the answer range option for a number question, please fill in the form and click on the save button.
3: Notes & Troubleshooting
- If the survey tester runs into any validation errors, a log will be posted on the following screen. Since the tester goes through the survey like an actual respondent, it will not be able to continue past any validation errors and will get recorded as a drop out.
- When using the Survey Tester there is no way to attach a unique identifier to the sessions. The User Agent field will get recorded as "Kinesis Survey Tester v5" and can be used to distinguish Survey Tester sessions from others. To further distinguish sessions you could create a text box question with response controls to return a custom text string.
- Unless specified using Response Controls, questions such as text or number will be filled with completely random data.
- For number questions, the tester will abide by any restrictions set in question properties such as minimum or maximum values but can not predict custom validation statements.